Fondazione Luigi Bon
ita eng
Back

Parish Church of San Pietro in Carnia

Zuglio

Founded a few decades before Christ along the right bank of the Bût stream, Zuglio, whose name was originally Iulium Carnicum, is an ancient Roman center established most likely during the proconsulate of Julius Caesar (58-49 B.C.). The mother parish church of San Pietro is of admirable beauty, and its present Gothic style, with a single nave and three altars, was commissioned in 1312 by the Patriarch of Aquileia.

Inside we find the wooden altarpiece of St. Anthony the Abbot, in Renaissance style, enclosed in two Baroque frames and attributed to Gian Domenico Dall'Occhio, and the high altarpiece by Domenico from Tolmezzo. The wooden Christ from 1550, located in the lintel of the main arch, measures nearly two meters in height and is the work of a northern workshop. Outside, the portico has undergone some renovations, but the Romanesque mullioned window survives. The plateau that you encounter at the beginning of the climb, toward the parish church, has a very ancient history; every year, the rite of the "Kissing of the Crosses" takes place here on the occasion of the Ascension.

 

Photography by Ulderica Da Pozzo

Fondazione Luigi Bon Regione Autonoma Friuli Venezia Giulia Ministero dei Beni e delle Attività Culturali e del Turismo Comune Capofila Tolmezzo Fondazione Friuli
Camera di Commercio Pordenone - Udine Orchestra FVG AIAM Io Sono Friuli Venezia Giulia
PrimaCassa Comunità della Montagna della Carnia Comunità di Montagna Val Canale BIM Carnia Industrial Park
Legnolandia Goccia di Carnia Secab
Privacy Policy Cookie Policy Transparent Administration Credits P.IVA 01614080305 Instagram