Fondazione Luigi Bon
ita eng

Sanctuary of Mount Lussari

Tarvisio - Camporosso

For centuries, the eastern-most peaks of the Alps were the natural border between the Latin, Germanic, and Slavic worlds. Today, in a time of peace, they still speak the languages of these peoples and are a land of meeting and friendship. At the extreme north-east of Italy, Mount Lussari is the symbol of this, with its sanctuary that can easily call itself European, being a destination for pilgrimages of all three peoples.

According to an ancient tradition, the sanctuary has its origins in 1360, following a series of miraculous events. A shepherd found his sheep flock kneeling around a bush and, with great wonder, realised that there was a little statue of the Madonna and Child in the centre of the bush. The shepherd delivered the statue to the Camporosso parish church, but the following morning the statue was again found on Lussari, again surrounded by the kneeling sheep. The episode was repeated a third time. Informed of the event, the Patriarch of Aquileia ordered that a chapel be built on the site.

There are no longer traces of the original chapel: the current building is the result of reconstructions and extensions of a 16th-century building.

Fondazione Luigi Bon
Regione Autonoma Friuli Venezia Giulia Comune Capofila Tolmezzo Ministero dei Beni e delle Attività Culturali e del Turismo Io Sono Friuli Venezia Giulia
Fondazione Friuli Camera di Commercio Pordenone - Udine ERT Ente Regionale Teatrale del Friuli Venezia Giulia AIAM
PrimaCassa BIM Comunità della Montagna della Carnia Carnia Industrial Park
Legnolandia Secab
Privacy Policy Cookie Policy Transparent Administration Credits P.IVA 01614080305 Instagram